Saturday, June 30, 2007

july...

A cup of coffee; drops of monsoon rain
Come crashing down heavily on the window panes.
Strange emotions follow that we cannot explain;
'Tis just another day in July.

The horizon sports all shades of grey,
And though there's sunshine somewhere along the way,
The brightness - will it be here to stay?
Meanwhile - we are as melancholy as the sky.

Thanks to the rain, 'tis muffled, unclear
But still suddenly the radio catches your ear -
A nostalgic melody that you overhear;
There's a giddy feeling inside you can't deny.

Thoughts of different genres stringed together
With imaginary threads that withstand the weather,
All unique yet similar, like birds of a feather,
Come into view; you breathe a heavy sigh...

An awkwardness follows, which you tacitly condone;
You are neither joyous, nor sad - in a twilight zone.
Are you searching for someone or would you rather be alone?
Mysterious contradictions - you are left wondering why...

And yet, relentless, defiant - the rain will march on!
Perhaps till the scorching summer memories are gone.
But will our vibrant Sun resurface at dawn?
'Tis just another day in July.

4 comments:

Angry Voices said...

With the time flown by
One cannot help the morose sigh.
It's another month gone
Maybe short, maybe long drawn
And you sit and wonder..."why"

But its only just thought
Full of pain and misery wrought.
Shake off the rainy dross
Shine away in the ensuing gloss!
With cheer is your writing sought.

Sayani said...

Well...all I can say is you made me realize that the monsoon season too has its own beauty. I mean these days, we want the rains to come to get respite from the heat...then when the heat's gone...we crib about the rain..and when the rains are gone...we're too busy with durga puja to even notice that they've gone!! But somewhere within us...all these feelings and emotions do play...but we don't notice. Your piece made me realise those. Expressions of your feelings brought out the emotions in me too!!! Keep up the grtt work....

Btw...rhyming pattern is awesome...very different and very catchy!!!

Anonymous said...

While reading the piece I felt as if it was really raining outside……… its so very close to my thoughts ……… brilliant writing style ……… keep writing ……

Mahua said...

I grew up in arid Gujarat …..where the summer sun would burn every blade. Land parched, they would crack up in shards ….. man, woman, child , animals all suffering the heat in silence , unable to speak or describe. Then one fine day, suddenly the southwest monsoon clouds would come rolling in ……… and boy, I cant describe in words that feeling that erupts in your heart, body and soul when you see those clouds pregnant with rain .

My room overlooked an orchard full of large trees ….. and as the rains would begin to drop, I used to sit by my window and watch the birds and monkeys …… as they would jostle for the highest branches. The birds would spread their wings to miximise the wetness, chirping in the loudest voice ……. The scene appearing in front my eyes as I write this …….. I would watch till my soul was satiated with the sight then I would step put to the terrace ……. And let it all flow down my skin ……

Monsoon to me is redemption ……..
To begin anew ….. fresh new life sprouting …..