Friday, May 12, 2006

double disaster (Paris curtain-raiser)!...

Today, I accomplished a 'disastrous double' in really quick time!
First, it was the 'bad' haircut; I got my hair done (or, in this case, 'mowed') at this really 'sidey'-looking place, owned and run by mysterious middle-eastern men who do not speak English and are fans of Salman Khan!

Communication was a slight problem, as was the fact that my vision is somewhat poor (read: blind as a bat!) without my glasses. So, the haircut was iterative - every 5 minutes, I would put my 'goggles' back on and check their progress. Accordingly, I would give them my valuable feedback in a language in which 'action spoke louder than words'. In fact, the words really didn't say anything at all!
This was particularly frustrating for my barber who would probably have 'accidentally' clipped one of my ear-lobes off had I not come with a solid recommendation. Lucky me - the local Pakistani cyber-cafe owner (Yousuf-bhai) had put in a good word. Oh well... I still have some hair on my head. Next time (if there is a next time), I'll just let the guys do their own thing.

On my way back, I went past the Indian convenience store ("Avtar Stores") and thought about dropping into the Afghan '24-hour-shop' near my place. Interestingly enough, even in a tiny place like Breda, I managed to spend the better part of the evening speaking Hindi (or in some cases 'Urdu'... to be 'politically' correct) :-)

Right from childhood, I have this uncanny ability to injure myself with minimal effort. (Ask anyone who knows me even remotely, and they'll tell you...). This 'talent' has withstood the test of time! I sprained my left foot as I headed home. :-((

This was just hours before we were to leave for Paris! :-(

No comments: