Monday, March 13, 2006

from Bangla to Breda...

Friday, 10th March, 2006 (wasn't home for my parents' anniversary) :-(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack was waiting in front of Burger King at Sciphol Airport, even before my KLM flight from Paris had touched down on Dutch soil. Amsterdam wasn’t exactly welcoming me with open arms – it was freezing cold and overcast; it had rained all morning and even my luggage wasn’t spared. Things were taking longer than expected – by the time my soggy suitcase made its way towards me on the conveyor belt, a good 45 minutes had already passed; Jack called Saby and Saby kept trying my number… but my SIM card was safely tucked away in a small compartment in my wallet. Meanwhile, My parents were worrying (as expected) back in ‘Incredible India’ (http://www.indiatourism.org/) [:-)]. Finally, all the finger-nail chewing and confusion was put to rest after I bought a calling card and made a few phone calls. By the time I hung up the receiver, a plump, middle aged Dutchman had stationed himself behind me.
“Are you Soo-rav?”
“Jack?”
He smiled.

According to Jack it was “rather warm right now” – the temperature had risen to around 4 degrees Celsius. Not that it made much difference to me… I was sh-sh-shivering as soon as we were out of the airport. In a few minutes, we were cruising down the highway towards Breda. Jack has a whopping 2,569 (?) CDs and DVDs at home – arguably one of the largest collections on the planet? Some of them are also in English (such as the “Ring of the Lords”!).

Kolkata to Mumbai.
Mumbai - Paris.
Paris - Amsterdam
And then...

Breda. My final destination. I learnt later that this town was named after the river that once flowed through it. However, when the folks here started building the place, they decided that it should flow along its outer periphery. So they did some digging and stuff… and soon enough, the river was re-routed and everyone here was happy. They celebrated this by wearing weird, colourful clothes and drowning themselves in gallons of beer (hic!). Then… many many years later (read: now), perhaps out of sheer boredom, they decided that the river should once again flow right through the town, or rather, across it. So… they did some digging and stuff… and… well, they’re still digging…

Picked up Saby and Antara from Amgen’s Lego-building (my workplace for the present) and had lunch at the 'main-building'. Jack dropped us off at Veemarkstrat and Antara showed me the way to our apartment. It’s a fairly big place, although the design is rather peculiar to say the least. After a while, I was on my own, left to ‘settle down’ during the rest of the day. The gentleman who had last occupied what was now my room was… a pig! Maintenance would not be here till the weekend ended and that was simply too late. The rest of the afternoon was spent fishing out underwear, socks, cigarette packets and a variety of other garbage from the various corners of the room. Eventually, I found the vacuum cleaner. By the time the room was ‘somewhat inhabitable’, I was dead-tired.
Bath.
Nap…

As I tucked myself in, several thoughts crossed my mind simultaneously; I was homesick and relieved at the same time. This trip was really a bit of a surprise. The week that had just gone by was one of the busiest in recent times. The weeks ahead would be full of new challenges. I thanked Mom, Dad and my stars... 'cos everything had gone smoothly thus far... and dozed off soon after…

Oh and by the way... Happy Holi!


[Pic: 'Cognizant in Breda' - Suvendra, Saby, Sourav and Antara]

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gola to! Shotyo ghotona obolombone?

Anonymous said...

Nice! So ultimately tor chaaer peyalay tufaan uthlo! :) Peyala theke Paris! :D
- Paromita

Anonymous said...

LEKHA BONDHO KORONA. PORER EPISODER OPKHIE ROILAM. SURUTA HOWA UCHT CHILO AGER WEEK THEKE. ALL THOSE EXCITEMENTS. LOVE - Ma

Anonymous said...

Darun likhechish sourav...keep it up!!!!

ratnasree

Anonymous said...

It was a sheer delight reading your experience. I could exactly feel how you were feeling settling down as I too had a similar experience the first time I was onsite. Good that you are in Europe and not US as Europe is a much better place to work live in (as heard from people).
However much you are pressured with work do not let go your writing habit.

Arindam said...

I can empathaise with you on how you are feeling right now having gone through the same experience 3 months back.

Settle down and i hope all the DBMS i taught you in college will come to good use : D . just kiddin!!

Anonymous said...

Hallo, Hoi, Dag!! (Dunno which one 's applicable!!)Well,that was a a very nice read, it ate up 15 of my ever-valuable minutes..Jus'Kidding! Hehe! Looking forward to hear more.. Take Care..

Rupa

Unknown said...

the mind is meandering in the midst of a new world,with new promises new dreams, their fulfilment indeed, a very picturesque creation has
oozed out from an
artist's mind.

Anonymous said...

Hey sourav, good to hear from you after a long time. Congratulations on your new assignment and all the best for the same. Enjoy your stay there and keep writing such nice thoughts. :-D

Happy Holi to you too!!!!

-Sirisha

Anonymous said...

cool dada this is the one i really understood and enjoyed.ha ha ha take care bye.
Rupai

Anonymous said...

Interesting read.You have the potential to become the next Tolkiens J.R.R.
-Rumni

rainbeau_peep said...

congratulations on the relocation. are u living in one of those quaint low-roofed cottages with lace curtains? they're quite out of fairy tales. i doubt that the weather gets any better - but look at the bright side, it's always daytime!